A Thumbnail Sketch of Kincardine United Church
During the winter of 1850-51, Wesleyan Methodists held meetings in private homes at Kincardine, eventually constructing two small wooden chapels to house a membership of forty. The first pastor was Rev. Thomas Crews (1851 – 52). In 1856 a brick church was built, with the opening service held March 1st, 1857. For a considerable time, the seating accommodation in the brick church consisted of rough two-inch planks supported by blocks of cord wood of the necessary height. There was one aisle, with women sitting on one side and men on the other.
By the 1870’s the congregation (248 members by 1874) had outgrown the first building, so in 1876 the contract for the present building was let, the tender being $13,199. The cornerstone was laid on Monday, August 17th, 1876, and the new building dedicated & opened on February 15th, 1877. The actual cost of the building when completed was $16,500, with the mortgage being discharged in 1912.
In 1883 the union of Episcopal Methodists with the Methodist Church of Canada took place, with the amalgamated congregations worshipping together in the same building. After many years of careful and prayerful consideration, on June 10th, 1925, the United Church of Canada was created with the participation of Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches, and Kincardine Methodist Church became Kincardine United Church.
Over the years, significant improvements to the church building took place. In 1929 the present organ was installed. During the period 1944 – 1951 many improvements were made, including a new pulpit, communion table & baptismal font, rebuilding of the organ and remodeling of the basement. An extensive renovation to the sanctuary occurred in 1962 and a large addition in 1992 (Learning Centre) was erected on the east side, giving our congregation an expanded facility to efficiently service our membership and outreach to our community.
Our church continues to be widely utilized by the congregation and the local community, endeavoring to fulfill its mission as a loving, hopeful and inclusive community of faith that nurtures Christian discipleship.